English words can be really confusing sometimes.
In these how-to-pronounce episodes published on Fridays, I’ll help you with the pronunciation of confusing words.
This week we’re going to talk about how to pronounce 10 of the most commonly mispronounced TV shows.
Each one of them has a particular combination of sounds that makes it challenging to pronounce.
Here’s a loose transcription of the names as explained in the episode:
- Stranger Things: strein-dj’r thingz [IPA: ˈstreɪnʤər ˈθɪŋz]
- The Handmaid’s Tale: thuh-hand-meidz teil [IPA: ðə ˈhɛəndˌmeɪdz ˈteɪɫ]
- Pretty Little Liars: pri-dee li-d’l lai-y’rz [IPA: ˈprɪt̬i ˈlɪt̬əɫ ˈlaɪərz]
- Big Little Lies: big li-d’l laiz [IPA: ˈbɪg ˈlɪt̬əɫ laɪz]
- Black Mirror: blak mir’r [IPA: blæk ˈmɪrər]
- Game of Thrones: gei-m’v thrownz [IPA: ˈgeɪm əv ˈθroʊnz]
- Orange is the New Black: o-r’nj’z thuh nuw blak [IPA: ˈɔrənʤ əz ðə nuː ˈblæk]
- Westworld: WES(t)-w’rld [IPA: ˈwɛst̚ˌwɜrɫd]
- Queer as Folk: kwir-az-fowk [IPA: ˈkwɪr æz ˈfoʊk]
- The Bachelor & Bachelorette: th’ bachl’r [IPA: ˈbætʃlər] / bach-luh-ret [IPA: ˌbætʃləˈrɛt]
To watch the video version of the episode, go here: https://theaccentsway.com/tv-shows/
If you want to improve your accent and understand spoken English better, download my free American Accent audio crash course: https://theaccentsway.com/audio-accent-course/
You can also download an interactive list of 50 of the most mispronounced words in English and master the pronunciation of those tricky words: https://theaccentsway.com/mispro-signup/
Join our Facebook community to connect with non-native English learners from all over the world: https://theaccentsway.com/influency-community/