English sounds can be really confusing sometimes.
In these how-to-pronounce episodes published on Fridays, I’ll help you with the pronunciation of confusing words or sounds.
This week we’re going to talk about the L sound.
Did you know that there are actually two L sounds in English? And did you know that getting it right is crucial for your clarity?
Practice the L and see results! Download list and practice with audio the light and dark L: https://bit.ly/2Nniz3Z
Here’s a loose transcription of words with a light L as explained in the episode:
- Light: lait [IPA: laɪt]
- Allow: uh-lau [IPA: əˈlaʊ]
- Belly: be-lee [IPA:ˈbeli]
- Listen: li-s’n [IPA: ˈlɪsən]
- Play: plei [IPA: pleɪ]
- Clothes: klowz [IPA: kloʊz]
- Clean: kleen [IPA: kliːn]
- Shallow: sha-low [IPA: ˈʃæloʊ]
- Lost: lost [IPA: lɔːst]
And here’s a loose transcription of words with a dark L as explained in the episode:
- Well: wel [IPA: weɫ]
- Fall: fol [IPA: fɔːɫ]
- Milk: milk [IPA: mɪɫk]
- Wall: wol [IPA: wɔːɫ]
- Help: help [IPA: heɫp]
- Girl: g’rl [IPA: ɡɝːɫ]
- Heal: hee(y)l [IPA: hiːəɫ]
- Peel: pee(y)l [IPA: piːəɫ]
- Deal: dee(y)l [IPA: diːəɫ]
- Feel: fee(y)l [IPA: fiːəɫ]
- Pool: poo(w)l [IPA: puːəɫ]
- Rule: roo(w)l [IPA: ruːəɫ]
- Cool: koo(w)l [IPA: kuːəɫ]
Did you know we’re working on a new and exciting transformational program? Get on the list to find out when we open doors! https://hadarshemesh.com/join/
You can also download an interactive list of 50 of the most mispronounced words in English and master the pronunciation of those tricky words: https://theaccentsway.com/mispro-signup/
Join our Facebook community to connect with non-native English learners from all over the world: https://theaccentsway.com/influency-community/